Monday, May 2, 2011

There is Life

A while back, I had an opportunity for a first. Well, it was a sort-of first. I've held small children and babies before--even babysat one about eight or so months old. But I have never in my life held a child less than a day old.

Okay, now some of you homeschooled people (okay, probably a lot of you) are probably thinking "what's so important about that? I hold babies that young all the time". And I'll tell you this:

1) I thought it was really neat that I got to hold this child (especially when she was so young--I didn't think her sweet mother or grandmother would want to let go of her).

2) There's something about holding a tiny baby in your arms that really let's you marvel. Not just at how tiny a person can be, but at God's wonder in creating this tiny human.

She is the newborn daughter of my a nurse at my dad's clinic. My dad needed to round on her and I (having been at work as well, and he having the only car between us) tagged along. I hoped that she would let me come in and see the baby, but my dad wanted to ask first. So, he examined the baby and asked her. She said yes!

So I knocked on the door and slipped into the room.

She had a full head of the softest hair I have ever touched in my life. It was like bunny fur.

I was a little nervous when I got permission to hold her and took her into my arms.

But as I held her, and chatted with my dad and the baby's mother and grandmother, I marveled at the realization that in my arms was a living, breathing miracle. From conception to birth, she was a miracle every step of the way.

And as I held her, I couldn't help but wonder:

How could anyone abort the life of a child in-utero?

Life is so precious. From the moment of conception, a living, breathing baby is developing inside his or her mother's womb. He/she is constantly growing and developing.

Many people often argue that a baby is "just a clump of cells" until a certain month of pregnancy.

That's not true.

By the time a mother is able to know that she is pregnant, the baby already looks like a fully formed baby. All he/she has left to do is grow and strengthen his/her organs.

There are always options.

Abortion should never be one.

Adoption is a beautiful thing.

My mother is one of the most amazing people you will ever meet (and I'm not just saying this because she's my mom).

She was adopted.

She was unplanned.

Her mother was unmarried.

Is my mom worth less than others because of this?

No.

Then why would any other unplanned child be any different?

A baby is a baby. No matter how small, how young, or anything.

God allowed that baby to be conceived for a reason.

Who are we to take life into our own hands? And not just our own lives, but the life of another? No. If someone killed the baby I mentioned at the beginning of this post today, they would be charged with murder.

What makes that baby any different from a baby in the womb?

Nothing.

Here's an illustration I found that exemplifies this wonderfully:


A worried woman went to her gynecologist and said:

'Doctor, I have a serious problem and desperately need your help! My baby is not even 1 year old and I'm pregnant again. I don't want kids so close together.

So the doctor said: 'Ok and what do you want me to do?'
...
She said: 'I want you to end my pregnancy, and I'm counting on your help with this.'

The doctor thought for a little, and after some silence he said to the lady: 'I think I have a better solution for your problem. It's less dangerous for you too.'

She smiled, thinking that the doctor was going to accept her request.

Then he continued: 'You see, in order for you not to have to take care 2 babies at the same time, let's kill the one in your arms. This way, you could rest some before the other one is born. If we're going to kill one of them, it doesn't matter which one it is. There would be no risk for your body if you chose the one in your arms.

The lady was horrified and said: 'No doctor! How terrible! It's a crime to kill a child!

'I agree', the doctor replied. 'But you seemed to be OK with it, so I thought maybe that was the best solution.'

The doctor smiled, realizing that he had made his point.

He convinced the mom that there is no difference in killing a child that's already been born and one that's still in the womb.



Choose life.

Love lets live.








I will praise Thee; 
for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: 
marvelous are thy works; 
and that my soul knoweth right well.
Psalm 139:14





1 comment:

  1. Hmm yes yes. I totally agree. A couple years ago I had the opportunity to attend a seminar-type thing that basically prepared people for any questions/excuses pro-abortionists may bring up, and then got to see in action a group of people answering these questions and making a statement at a college campus.
    It's amazing how many people really believe the murder of an unborn baby is okay. And the whole "clump of cells" thing...wow, it just makes me so upset. It's super cool that you have the testimony through your mom of the fact that no matter what, a baby's life is important.
    Every life is a miracle and gift from God. Who are we to think we have the right to take that away? I couldn't agree with you more.

    ReplyDelete