Monday, September 20, 2010

Life's Disappointments

Life is full of disappointments. We've all been disappointed in one way or another. Usually more than once.

I've been told a time or two before that I take disappointment well. Maybe I do on the outside. But whenever I hear that, I wonder if they would still say so if they saw what was going on in my mind. As soon as I begin to realize I'm being let down, a battle begins. Questions race through my mind.


What did I do wrong?

Do they hate me now?

And most prominent... Why did they lead me on like this?

But there's something God's been teaching me about disappointments. Something that has helped me take disappointments very well. On the inside as well as the outside.

Disappointments are a part of life. People aren't perfect. God has a plan in every circumstance. Maybe I'm being disappointed because whatever is being taken away from isn't part of God's plan for my life.

Sometimes we decide to do things in a moment of excitement. Adrenaline decisions, I like to call them. They could be big, fun, amazing things. But often, we don't step back to think, "Is this what God wants me doing with my life?" Whatever it is isn't necessarily a bad thing. It could be a very wonderful thing. But if it isn't part of God's plan for your life, it might as well be sinning. There are so many wonderful things in life that are out there for us to do. But we simply can't "do it all". That's why God made every person unique. So that we could each do one or two of those amazing things. And then, they all get done.

Besides, if we all did the same thing, life would be boring and predictable. The fun part about life is that everyone does different things. That's why life is so exciting and unpredictable!

A smart person once told me something. He said, "One definition of failure is succeeding in something you were never supposed to accomplish in the first place." 

Lets just say I've been chewing on it off and on for a while.

So, you know those big plans you had for your life? Those are fabulous. But you know what? Unless they're God's plan, they will never feel exactly right. You'll always be chasing after wind, wondering where you went wrong, and why things aren't working out.

Wondering with all your heart why you're being disappointed again and again and again.


God's plan for your life is the perfect plan for you.

And you know what?

Sometimes, we get disappointed so we can be reappointed in God's perfect plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment