Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Defying Gravity

I've been doing a lot of air travel lately. I've just been doing a lot of travel, period. The other day in church no less then three people approached me and said, "I haven't seen you in a while!" Well, I promise that I'm home to stay...at least until the end of September. Then I will be attending TeenPact's new alumni event--Congress. If you're a TeenPact Alumnus, seriously consider signing up!!

But talking about TPC wasn't the main point I wanted for this post. It was the air travel. LOL.

You know what really intrigues me? The fact that a tiny bird and a huge jumbo jet loaded down with people, luggage, and fuel can both take flight.....but a human can't. Try as we might, without the aid of an airplane, we cannot fly. Yet, for thousands of years it has been mans dream to do so. I would even be so bold as to say since the beginning of time we have longed to fly. It's like in Toy Story, when Buzz Lightyear believes he can fly, and demonstrates his "skill". Woody scoffs and informs him that it's not flying, it's "falling with style". Hangliding, skydiving...that all it is. Falling with style. Man has never and never will truly achieve flying.

When I was a little kid, I often badgered my dad with questions of Heaven. What would it be like? What would we do? Would we have special powers? This last question interested me the most. Ever since I can remember, I've always wanted to be able to run insanely fast, turn invisible, read minds, and fly. So one day, I asked my dad, "Do you think we'll be able to fly?"

My dad thought a minute and responded positively. This excited me. I inquired if we would need stairs (obviously not, if we could fly). The idea of a random hole in the ceiling leading to another floor delighted me. But not just that. The ability to lift off towards that hole filled me with overwhelming excitement.

I believe in Heaven, we'll be able to do things beyond any of our imaginations. Our bodies are mere shells, cages for our souls. Really, we are souls trapped in bodies. We're grounded by our mortality and sin. Pulled down by gravity. Not able to be released. Every time we try to fly, we're gonna fall. We just can't do it. But that doesn't quell our burning desire to fly. We watch the birds soaring above the clouds and find ourselves  wishing we could be like them. We watch airplanes take off and wonder why they can do it and we can't. But in Heaven, I believe we won't have to dream. We won't have long and wonder and wish. Our dreams will come true.

We will see our Lord, Saviour, our Rescuer, Jesus Christ.

We will sing with the angels eternal praise to our Heavenly King.

We will live forever, basking in the glory of God.

Our souls will be released from the cages that are our bodies.

We will be forever happy.

We will be able to spend as much time as we want with those we love.

We will never have to say good-bye.

And we will fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment