Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Counting it All Joy

“Life is 
10% what happens to you 
and 90% how you react to it.” 
–Charles R. Swindoll

When asked to describe me, my friends will use words like:

happy

welcoming

inspirational

godly

sweet

I’ve been told I’m known for my friendliness and my always open shoulder. 
I’m active in 4-H, TeenPact, work, and life in general. 

All of this describes my 90%: 
how I’ve reacted to life. 

But what most people don’t know about me is my 10%: 
what happened to me. 

Because my 10% is that I was bullied for five long years. 

I would be lying if I said I emerged from this ordeal stronger all on my own. 
Yes, I emerged a stronger person, 
but not because of anything I did. 

Who I am today is all because of God. 

Many times, I found myself looking at the footprints in the sand and, upon seeing only one set, 
wondered where God was in all of it

What I failed to see 
was that He was carrying me: 
every step of the way. 

Throughout those years, He gave me someone who constantly reminded me that He was in full control, 
even when I felt like life was spinning out of control: 
my mother. 

I remember late nights when she would hold me as I cried. 
She always told me the same thing:

“And we know that all things 
work together for good 
to them that love God 
to them who are the called 
according to His purpose.” 
Romans 8:28. 

People who know me and knew me as I went through this trial in my life  
would probably be shocked 
if I told them 
I am a victim of bullying. 

I used to equate this to putting on a mask. 
 And for a while, 
I believe I was. 

But God’s constant prodding and my mom’s constant prayer made me realize something: 
I must count it all joy. 

Being joyful when all I wanted 
was to curl up in a corner and cry my life away 
was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. 

But I didn’t do it on my own. 

The reason I can be joyful is because 
God is teaching me 

joy 

peace 

forgiveness

 and faith. 

I’ve forgiven those girls. 
It took quite a while, but God never gave up on my heart.

“My brethren, 
count it all joy 
when ye fall into divers temptations; 
Knowing this, 
that the trying of your faith 
worketh patience.” 
James 1:2-3

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing that! And for your transparency. You have a powerful testimony that you use to glorify the Lord. =)

    ReplyDelete